Monday, October 31, 2011

NaNoWriMo gods forgive me...

I'm just now getting over a rotten cold and NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow. I feel completely unprepared. To top it off, we had to reschedule our trip to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival because of my illness, so now we have to go during NaNo; and I have to make a trip to NC to get my mother mid-month. All that and at least 50,000 words--when I haven't really gotten back into the writing program yet!

Jiminy.

I need more cough syrup.

I was supposed to have been gearing up for NaNo with regular writing, but more than a week ago this enormous tiredness fell over me. I had hoped that would be the extent of the sickness, but unfortunately last week it turned into a full-blown cold with hacking, dry cough and fever. It will be a challenge to get my butt in the chair and write over the next few days, but I'm sure I can do it.

Last year, NaNo had over 200,000 participants--and that's only counting the ones who logged on to the website. Who knows how many do it on their own (though why anyone would do that is beyong me).

All those novels! You have to wonder how many make it through completion, editing, and even publication.

This year, I had this grand idea to do 100,000 words. I'm not trying to show off or anything--I just have a hard time making decisions.

The idea of NaNo is to write 50,000 words on a new novel in one month. You are forced to write so quickly, that your inner editor must be banished from your writing space and your imagination will fly. Because of this idea, NaNo doesn't want you to get bogged down with anything like an already begun manuscript.

So, I came up with an idea. I had something of an outline that I didn't really like--too serious. And I was trying to figure out how I could tell the story from a humorous angle.

But I really didn't want to start a new project when I have so many in the works that need attention. I didn't want to spend a full month writing what could likely end up being 50,000 words of pure crap when I had some great stuff in my 'to do' box.

So, I thought I'd be a NaNoRebel and wrie 50,000 words on the novel I've been working on lately. It could use the attention.

And then, just yesterday, I thought, hmmm, maybe I could just do both. Now, I'm thinking I'm just crazy. After all, I have a second novel that needs work. I might not be able to get 50,000 more words on it, but why start something new--something I'm not even happy with yet--before finishing what I've got.

I think I'm just going to do 50,000 on my main novel and spend the rest of the time on the other WIP (that's work in progress to us novelists--ahem).

The newer idea just needs percolating...not a 50,000 word frenzy of forcing crap out of my head--pure imagination be damned. (And now I feel guilty for rebelling against the NaNo gods).

No comments:

Post a Comment