Monday, December 31, 2012

Outlandish goals for 2013...

It's New Year's Eve and I've taken about five days off from writing (I'm not sure I can count two of them as I don't often write on the weekends anyway). I plan to get back to it today, however.

So very pleased with myself.
photo by puamelia via flickr

On the day after Christmas, I finished the penultimate draft of THE WRETCHED, book two of THE KELL STONE PROPHECY series. It was a wonderful feeling and brought me a bit of surprise. 2012 wasn't even finished yet, and I'd already completed an enormous chunk of next year's work. It makes my goal of publishing four books next year seem very doable. I might even be able to do five--and I'm not even counting this little bit of nothing book I'm working on.

The KELL STONE series of books is easy, I have to admit. Most of the story is complete already. I only have to add Leah Hallowsing's story line, beef up Lucas Foster's story line, change a few quirks and plot points, and voila, they'll be ready.

The first, and titular, book in THE STORY RUNNER series is nearly complete as well and CAMELIA is at least in progress. The only book I haven't actually begun is the next D.D. Charles book about ghosts. But I've been jotting down snippets of dialogue that come to mind and I'll find a moment to work out something more of a plot soon. At least I know what its basic structure will be.

All in all, I've done wonderful things with 2012 and am ready for 2013.

How about you?

Resolutions are bunkum for the most part. We say we're going to do things we know we ought to do, usually knowing full well we'll have forgotten about them by February. Lose weight. Eat better. Exercise more.

Or we say we'll do things we hope we'll do, but knowing full well we have no control over them. Find love. Get married. Win the lottery.

Goals, on the other hand, have nothing to do with a change in the calendar and can be made any time. Goals are part of how you live your life--they're extentions of what you're already working toward. They're not pie in the sky; they're real, accessible, possible, and concrete. You WILL succeed to some point with them.

Some say you should sit down and plan out your time minute by minute and set realistic goals. But I read somewhere recently that it's actually better to make impossible goals.

Reach for the stars.

As long as you understand that almost attaining your goal is success, why not set yourself up for something brilliant? Something fantastic? Go for it!

So, five books next year it is! I bet I can do it. And if I don't, I know I'll have at least three, maybe four, books published. The only way I can fail is to stop what I'm doing right now.

And I have no intention of doing that.

Let's hear it for outlandish goal-setting!

No comments:

Post a Comment